Wednesday 14 October 2020

 asleep, the world waits

sheets cold and bodies warm, I 

make it wait longer.


I slept in my husband's bed last night - first time since our vacation in September.  I forgot how much I miss this connection.  And, pleasantly, it was a good night and I was able to sleep - no mishaps or loud snoring or any MS-related-issues.

Yesterday, our HR department sent out a request for us to share one or two words that outline what we are most proud of since the pandemic began.  I can think of things I'm thankful for, things I'm grateful for, but am really struggling to give an honest answer about things I am proud of.

The plague wasn't that bad for me.  I stopped commuting, my husband's career ended it's medical stall, we both work from home and have found a  nice rhythm there.  I walk almost every day - with the dog, with friends, or with Bob.  I take photos and write haiku.  I have saved so much money - all while doing some house repairs.  I've bought shoes.  I've learned to bake bread.  I've painted bricks.  I've checked in with friends.  

And as I write this, I know what I'll respond with.  Being there.  I was able to be there this year for friends struggling with mental health, for some lonely folks, and for a dear friend that lost her oldest child.  I'm probably more thankful I was there, but proud that in this midst of chaos and challenges I could be there for other people - even where I volunteer.   It's also what kept me mentally well, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment