Sunday 10 May 2020

you're not my mother,
which means:  i don't have a wife
that would shop for you.


My husband pulled out the cliche, "you're not my mother" in advance of mother's day.  This, of course, relating back to my request that he NOT commandeer my children and just let them figure out my birthday and mother's day on their own.  They are in their 20s and need to grow up a little, especially my son who likes things very easy.

By no way did I mean not to celebrate me.  Not to get a card or something.   Because while I'm not HIS mother, I did step in with HIS son and made so many sacrifices to do that.  I am battle scarred from the years of parenting his child, deep scars that will likely never heal. 

Just more of the "adventures in caregiving", experiencing MS change my thoughtful, lovely husband's personality into someone who is quick to anger and thoughtless to my feelings.  He also did not buy his mother anything - I did.  I searched.  I bought.  I arranged delivery.  He'll take the grateful phone call and praise, though. 

Do I care?  Not really.  It is a hallmark holiday.  I know the kids love me. I know he appreciates what I gave up to be a mum to his child.  I know, that just below the surface of his frustration, anger, and hurt at what MS is dealing him lies my wonderful husband.

Today will be lovely - volunteering at the Mission, a sunny day, and calls to family.   Maybe I'll hop online and plan a trip for August that will likely be cancelled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment