Friday 15 May 2020

fog insulates me
soothes rough edges and protects
blanketing this life


I went for a walk this morning - along the lake trail I like so much.  While beautiful in the sun and warmth, it's utterly romantic in rain and fog.  I walked and walked, my dog wandering through thickets as I stayed on the path - the only sounds the tweeting of birds, the honking of geese, and the call of loons.

I breathed in the damp air as I thought about my steps - and the pain in my right hip.  I've been noticing the signs of arthritis, slowly creep into my joints over the last months - my hip, my fingers, inching me towards old age.  My hip has recently gotten worse - I notice it when I do up my runners or when I lift Bob - it used to just make a sound but now the pain radiates down my leg and up into my side.  I think that's the favourite part of my walks - the silence and the thinking.  Considering myself getting older, Bob's care, the happiness of my dog as he crashes through bushes, and what the pandemic means for a new normal.

I also thought about music as I walked.  I was watching Blacklist the other day, and a song played in the background.  I liked it enough to google the soundtrack and find it - Jose Gonzalez' Heartbeats.  Lovely.  I've been listening to his music the last few days - and in the mix adding Daughter, Monsters and Men, Lumineers, and The National.  Crooners, with an updated feel.  Melancholic.  Like fog, blankets for my feelings.

I miss having coffee with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment