Monday 20 April 2020

my dog cannot speak
maybe that's why i like him 
preferring quiet



I volunteered at the Mission yesterday and am very conflicted.  
  • On the positive side:  I did a lot of work, felt very useful, and worked with two amazing guys in the kitchen who not only made dignified, healthy meals, but did the logistics for all the supplies to maximize effectiveness.
  • On the negative side:  I was really not treated well by the women who volunteered there - they were nasty.  They were self-promoting empire-builders who refused to let me help and then complained and were bitchy when the guys let me help.  
I'll need to think on this.  I'd like to be frank with my feedback to the volunteer coordinator and let her know that the women really were awful, but Bob says it could have just been a bad day for them or "just who they are".  I feel like it was so negative that they probably need to know that before putting someone else new in the position.  This is why I quit St Vincent's, years ago.  The "I volunteer here more than you - and I'm too good to clean bathrooms" attitude.

I'm really conflicted having such a bipolar experience. 

Edit/Update:  My husband thinks it's unfair of me to "judge these women".  Of course he does.  He gets special treatment due to being in a wheelchair and they all fawn over him - it MUST be my fault - I MUST have done something to deserve this.  I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment