Wednesday 8 April 2020

men are know-it-alls
i accept this, but hate it
store it in my heart


It's completely fair to go into this post thinking, "but you hate being told what to do".  It's true.  I do.  I don't think I need to be told what to do.  I'm almost fifty, quite intelligent, raised 3 kids, (and 2 husbands), and went to school for both nursing and workplace learning.  If I ask for your support or guidance, feel free, but please do not tromp all over my domain with your unsolicitated man-advice.

And so, my husband's healthcare worker is a man.  Older than me.  Used to work in nursing homes and now in the community.  He's continually complaining about how little money he makes and how many hours he gets, and rushes through things.  I'm fine with all of that.  My husband and him get along famously, so I overlook the slightly unprofessional behaviour and just shake my head. 

Four weeks ago, I found a patient lift, motorized, for $800 with a receipt.  YAY.    It's amazing.  We abadoned our quest to find and get funding for a sera steady - about $4500, because the OT was on the fence if it would work longterm for Bob, and the safety of it with his lack of balance.  And, quite frankly, I'm not a medical device warehouse.

Today, I'm standing in the shower with Bob and his healthcare worker.  We do this weird two-person lift now where I support, standing in a damp, hot area, while listening to these two.  He really needs a sit-to-stand, I hear.  It would really help, I hear.  I explain, I hope patiently - as I wasn't really feeling patient - that yes it would be easier right now but longterm it would not work - and then get lectured on the type of sling that would be best.

I know he just wants to make his life easier, and support my husband.  But inside of me, a voice was shouting "OH MY FUCK, CAN I JUST GET A THANK YOU FOR WHAT I DO INSTEAD OF THE MEN IN MY LIFE ALWAYS ASKING FOR MORE??"

So I'm in my office, blogging.  Sipping coffee.  Riding the wave of annoyance out.

No comments:

Post a Comment