Tuesday 21 January 2020

19 years ago
a first date filled with laughter
that's not a sports car!

19 years ago we had our first date.  After months of talking on the phone and writing emails to one another, we met at an Ikea to wander around and see if there was chemistry or not.  It was my first time, probably, in an Ikea but he needed a cheap bed (he'd been using a futon).   We decided to go play pool, and then decided to have some food at East Side Marios.  Not an especially noteworthy beginning.

We met again six days later and within a few weeks were dating. 

He was walking, then.  And I knew about his MS.  At that time, he'd been diagnosed for almost 4 years officially and 9 years in theory.  I trained as a nurse, so knew what I was facing. 

Today, we have medical appointments.  One at Sunnybrook to address the incident after Christmas, and another in Oshawa to see if we can do something about his pain and spasms in his legs.  But before we start the clinical aspect of our day, we'll have breakfast together.  We will laugh, look back on our relationship, and take a moment to be husband and wife again - before heading into a day of clinical assessments and me as his caregiver.

I don't regret anything.  It makes me sad, how things have progressed in the last few years - but that does not take away from how much we love one another.   Seems funny that we've been together for 19 years.. I barely remember myself without him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment