Monday 27 April 2020

authenticity
why can't people be honest
curation of truth


I'm scrolling through instagram and see a number of posts.  I see a number of posts that are blatantly untrue.  I knw for a fact that these people are not enjoying their life right now, or struggling with their mental health, or damn near hate their families.  And yet, hearts and joyful posts fill their 'gram.

Why?

Is it to fool others?  To curate something that looks better than what it is to make them feel better about the life they're leading? Is it hope - hope that if they can stitch together bits of happiness that somehow what exists is a whole?  Is it the pressure of having it all - look - I can work, have a life, joy, and great kids? 

Or does your social media credibility go down if no one wants to like or view your pictures of reality?

I'm just as guilty.  I take pictures of beach and trail scenes, my dogs, and spring weather.  I don't take photos of my husband, lying on the floor, after I dropped him trying to get him to the toilet.  I don't take pictures of breakfast dishes, sitting for hours; laundry, unfoldered for days; of me, rolling my eyes that I can't get a chapter read in my new book.




No comments:

Post a Comment