Wednesday 18 March 2020

social distancing
my dog does not understand
or maybe it's me


What does it take to show love - in a community that is self-isolating?  For me, it's being nice and polite and friendly and thankful when I buy groceries or medications.

What does it take to show love - as my husband is bored - not working, not going to the gym, and not seeing friends?  For me, it's making time.  Talking.  Looking up.  Cooking favourite meals and remembering to be physically affectionate, even when I'm rushed.

What does it take to show love - when people around me are scared or stressed or ignorant?  It means gently educating, listening, remembering the good and pointing it out.


My introverted self does not mind this social distancing - but the rebellious teenager in me really misses small groups and chats and walks (still going just not as much) and conversations.  Mindless roaming.  I love the barrenness of the landscape, the return to simple values - but worry about the growing fear of an economy dipping, no income, and payroll that might not get made.  My chest squeezes when a reporter asks about looting - when it hasn't happened yet, but she invites its arrival.  The folks bad at math that don't think this is working, the defiant refusal to stay at home, and endless questioning of government when they are doing their best.


No comments:

Post a Comment